Wednesday 28 February 2007

Getting fit, staying fit for your health

When I went back onto haemodialysis I was told by the doctor that I needed to build up my strength and stamina. This would help in the future for a transplant and it would also help my with the dialysis treatment.

So I started to exercise. I have always enjoyed exercise, sport and the outdoors but had been unable to do much due to being ill with low energy levels during my final year of my last transplant. It took quite a lot of resolve to get going - my parents were very supportive. I started by doing small works in the countryside with them building up the distance of a couple of months. My dad and I then did some longer day walks which were great - mostly on Dartmoor and around my parents home nr Lyme Regis. This made me a lot fitter and stronger.

I then started to run, I have never been keen on running but felt that I should try and get my heart rate up and get a bit more sweat* (See footnote). At first it was a real struggle and I would run for a minute and walk for two and still be exhausted after about a mile. I have built this up over the past 10 months and am now running most days varying from 2 miles to 6 miles. I have entered the Bath half marathon which on the 25 March 2007. This is a good target to aim towards - 13.1 miles - I am hoping that I will complete it - it will be a good achievement if I do.

*Sweating and heart rate. I have found on dialysis that running (sweating) helps to make one feel much better, it seems to get rid of some of the toxins that are in your body, it flushes out the pores helping to prevent the itching which can occur and it also allows me to drink more. I half an hour run causes about 400 ml of liquid to be lost allowing me to drink 400ml. It is interesting that if I start of running feeling thirsty after the run this thirst has normally gone (unless I have dehydrated myself) I put this loss of thirst down to loosing salt in sweat. I would strongly advise anyone on dialysis to get exercising - it is har

No comments: