Thursday 22 November 2007

Day 1 after the transplant

It is interesting that they call day 1 the day after the transplant. To me this is day 2 as a lot can happen in day 1! Day 2 was still a bit of a blur. I remember being hungry - I think I ate some hot chips with salt and vinegar. I was not allowed chips when on dialysis. I also continued to drink.

I was visited by my cousin, his wife and their 3 children. That was really good, they had come to Bristol to go to the science museum and to see us all. It is always funny to see kids in hopsitals especially the younger ones who always look a bit shocked and have been told to be on their best behaviour. I think that most kids naturally act properly in hospitals and often say some of the most inspiring and happy things out of everyone. I like the directness of the questioning and the wonder of things new. They are always interested in how long you are going to be ill and what everything does.

It was great to see them all - such a supportive bunch of people.

The rest of the day was fine. The doctors kept came and checked on me and my results continued to improve. I was passing lots of urine and having liquids pumped into me.

They wanted to get me out of bed. I understand the medical reasons for this but I personally do not get out of bed whem they say I should unless their is a very good reason. I believe that after a big operation when you have had a new organ placed in you that time is a great healer and movement and exertion at this time does no good. I do believe that you should try and move parts of your body and try and deep breath to exercise your lungs and get some of the aneasthetic and breathing tube saliva that accumulated during the operation out of your system. Also it is really uncomfortable moving around at this time. They give you aspirin and heparin which helps to prevent dvt (blood clots). This never used to happen but seems to be a good idea.

I must admit that things have advanced since my last transplant some 20 years ago. You have to take that stupid life bacteria drink. I am still not convinced by drinking bacteria especially when so immunosuppressed - that company must have a good sales team. You have these injections to stop clotting and take aspirin. (This I believe helped to cause some complications later day 4 or 5), you are take a pleurethra of antirejection pills and immunosuppression iv things - this is a good thing. The body does not have a clue who and what it is!!!

But basically it still comes down to the medical staff, nurses, the preparation before the transplant (x match) and a bit of luck. It is interesting going into hospital with the awareness of hospital infection - perhaps this is down to the press but it still does sit on your mind. I really did not want to get an infection as I had very very little immunity to fight anything off. I was aware of if nurses or doctors washed hands and other basic hygiene things. It was apparent that most nurses and doctors were excellent at this but the side was let down by a few, but on the whole I was impressed by the hygiene.

The hospital does suffer from being an old hospital with old buildings and resources. This makes things hard to clean and manage but it still not an excuse.

I still had all the monitoring equipment attached. I remember watching striclty come dancing but don't actually remember what happened - still taking those pain killers.

Not much else to report about this day. Just happy that things were going ok.

No comments: