Monday 14 January 2008

Blood tests and press

I felt todays bloods were important - as the previous weeks had begun to show signs of creatinine creeping up which is not what you want. Todays creatinine was back to 123 which is good. I did little exercise on the weekend and thus expected the creatinine to drop if the kidney function was still good. So good news.. I think I go back in a week.

I was contacted by UK transplant to be a spokesperson for the opt in and opt out idea. I am happy to do this but may not be the best as I am still deciding my stance. I do think that a opt out policy makes sense as this means that the 80+% who would donate organs are then covered. (People tend not to think about death when they are well and this is actually the time when you need to think about it for deciding if you want to donate organs upon death. My reservation about the scheme is that your body is your body and does not belong to the state or another individual. I wish that the whole debate is kept away from prime ministers trying to make headlines forcing other parties to oppose or make some type of comment. This type of debate should be handled with more skill than the government can do.

If the opt out system is introduced it will mean that more organs become available and more people can live nearly normal life. But the system must be easy to opt out and have safe guards.

This week I start to train for the marathon which will push my creatinine up.. but I have to start at some point.

No comments: