Saturday 12 January 2008

Old friend

The amount of money people are donating to my charity raising effort is brilliant. Thank you all so much. I had a donation recently from an old school friend which brought back memories from when I had my second transplant at the age of 11. I basically missed the first year of school because I was in hospital. When the transplant did arrive - saving my life - I went back to school. The school had said I should stay back a year because I was behind everyone else - I disagreed and said give me the end of year exams and see how I do. I proved the school wrong and came in the top five for science, maths and english. I think that was the heighest I ever came.

When I got back to school my old primary school friends were amazing and I still remember how I was basically a member of every peer group becuase all my old primary school friends told their new friends that I was to be accepted and what had happened to me. Due to the steroids I had to take and the steroids I still take my face carries fluid and I have largish cheeks. This from time to time instigated people to try and bully me - but this never lasted long as my friends stood up for me. I remember one time when I was playing football on the tennis courts - I was not bad at sport even if I was at the time smaller and less developed than the others. But for some reason one of the other people on the tennis court (who was useless at football) turned on me and started to push me and laugh at me. One of my friends (a very placid and utterly nice guy) got this person by the neck and lifted him up against the fence and said if you ever touch or call "my friend names" I will see that your life is miserable for ever at school. I never had trouble from that guy again and when I see him in the local area he moves away sheepishly. I am still good friends with the guy who stuck up for me.

I heard a song on the radio yesterday and it all most made me cry. I have a lot going on at the moment in my life which is all mostly good. This song brought back good old memories of a gig I went to a few years ago, it also makes me think of future visions of life and emotions, it reminds me of the beach, it reminds me of dancing, it reminds me of the outdoors, it reminds me of wine and cheese, it reminds me of skiing through virgin powder with blue skies and good friends, it reminds me of driving through a desert, it reminds me of a beautiful girl, it reminds me of hitting the perfect golf shot, it reminds me of my old dog (ex) running towards me with a happy face and muddy paws, it reminds me of kicking leaves as a young child with brother and parents. It reminds me of emotions and inspires new (is that not what a song is meant to do?)....

The band is goldfrapp and the song is called A and E. http://www.myspace.com/goldfrapp
If you want to know what makes me almost cry then listen to it.

Bristol City have gone second - will they be in the premiership next year?

No comments: