Wednesday 3 October 2007

Orienteering

Finished writing an article for Compass sport - the national orienteering magazine. I will publish the article here once it has been published in the magazine and on the web. I was delighted to write an article for me as orienteering (which I discovered last year) has provided me with the incentive to get fit, get tougher physically and to get out and about.

It is a good sport for a number of reasons and particulary good for kidney dialysis patient (I believe) because it offer the following

1. Go at your own speed but in a competition environment
2. Get out and meet new people
3. See you fitness and map reading improve.
4. Not high impact on the arms (fistula consideration) unless you fall!
5. Gets your heart rate up
6. Makes you sweat which removes both liquids and toxins. (this makes me feel so much better - it is like an extra dialysis)

I could go on but I think you get the point. To find out more about orienteering visit http://www.compasssport.co.uk/

2 comments:

Di Carrington said...

Ian, orienteering is a great sport for all those reasons. What a stunning day today is (Thursday). I'm going to the gym today where I'll spread the word of your good project. Loved your explanation of the taste if citrate - shame it doesn't taste like Chardonay!! Keep up the great work. Hugs Di xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Ian, hope preparations for the op are going to plan. This is the first time I've looked at this and you've already confused the hell out of me with technical language! Cornwall is treating me well - you'll have to come down again when you're fighting fit. Good luck mate, Andy.