Tuesday 23 October 2007

Sometimes the NHS rocks

Dialysis was fine today. Arrived early to try and catch up with consultant but he was not around. So went and had a meal in the canteen. The dialysis unit was busy - there was one elderly gentlemen who gets confused on dialysis and shouts out " Help me" and other weird stuff.

I feel sorry for him but it did make me chuckle. The staff tell him he has x minutes left and he then asks How much to get free? If an inspector walked into the unit and this guy was shouting it would look like the staff did not care but quite the reverse is actually happening. Don't immediately judge all situations.

I am anaemic, my named nurse, spoke to me about it and also about Iron. She managed to track down a doctor and we had a discussion about getting an extra dose. The junior doctor was excellent - he actually appeared interested and listened asking quesyions about my health and any side effects from the anemia. He prescribed the Iron and I also had eypo.

My nurse also said that the doctors had requested hb levels every Tuesday, this is obviously a doctor reviewing all the results each month. I decided that I would not have blood done today as I had it done yesterday and my hb levels were done then. Don't waste blood.... My named nurse agreed.

When other people go through this treatment I think they need to be careful about hb levels.

No news on cross matches for this week. I am listening to a cd that my mates made me - it rocks also.

No comments: