Monday 3 September 2007

7 Hours later

I am tired but ok. Underwent my first plasmaphersis session followed bu the infusion of Rituximab.

The plamsapherisis took about 3 hours. It was painless and pretty simple. I did not appear to have any side effects - except for a the end when I had a tiny bit of tingling in my mouth and a strange test this is from the citrate (anticoagulant)

I basically had 60% of my blood plasma removed and replaced with other plasma. In total about 2.5 litres. It is weird to see your blood plasma collecting in a bag above your head and thinking other peoples is replacing yours.

The nurses and staff seem to be excellent. I had loads of blood taken about 15 bottles full.

Following Plasma I went up to the renal unit for the infusion. I landed waiting around for ages. Inventually I was given a bed. The nurse tried to get a needle in my hand (my veins are crap like most renal patients) she missed. But the doctor who was looking after me hit it. Well done to him.

I was then started on the infusion at a rate of 16 ml an hour. That is pretty slow - but this is to ensure that any reaction that occurs is limited. They then sped the process up and after 4 hours it was finished.

During the process I did feel a bit fluie and a tiny bit short of breath but not enough to mention to the medical staff- it would have just worried them and caused a fuss.

I will write more later

No comments: