Wednesday 5 September 2007

Bye Bye immunity

I had a quick look at todays blood results and it would seem that the treatment and infusion on Monday has had an effect.

My lymphocytes have dropped from 3 units to 1.6 units. That basically means that my internal armies have halved. This I think is what the doctors are hoping for - these little things are the things that cause rejection.

My phosphate has risen back up but that is not a surprise as I have been eating calcium foods and liquids and these contain phosphate. My haemoglobin is 13.4 on monday it was 14.7 one of these figures is wrong. I have an injection each week called eypo which helps to produce red blood cells. These carry oxygen around your body and thus with a low level you get very tired and have no energy. The normal range is about 13-18 (I think). When I was a child and on dialysis my haemo levels were around 5.5-6. I honestly don't know how I managed. Eypo has had such a dramatic effect on renal patients lives. Well done to the drugs company and researches who discovered it.

Plasma was fine today. Only took around 2 hours - they ran it quicker. The staff are great and the needles are smaller - makes a big difference. I had the odd minute of feeling slightly odd - but nothing to serious.

I was quite tide this afternoon so lay on my bed for a while and dozed whilst listening to the cricket.

I can't decide if I should continue running. In some ways I really want to but I am cautious about knackering myself.

I have a date to see the surgeon which is good. I also have to see another doctor to prove that I am me - and that dad is dad. We have to take photographs?? Some government regulation.

This makes me think it is about time that this government - no all politicians started to cut all the political correctness and paperwork. It just takes up valuable resources and time that could be spent on better things. I don't want to sound like I am complaining as I am very very gateful to the health service and every single tax payer in this country and always will be. I do feel passionate though that there are so many good people working on the ground level who are being restricted and controlled by "the management". Another piece of evidence for this stupidity. Eypo, the drug I was talking about earlier, costs the hospital 17.5% more if it is given dispensed in the hospital (vat), if it is delivered to your home it does not cost that. So what you might ask. Eypo has to be stored in the fridge. If your dose changes you obviously need a new delivery, doses change frequently. So the government which is trying to promote more public transport, a greener environment is charging less for a van with a refrigerator to deliver a month supply of eypo to your door step. This is both inconvenient for the person at home (working hours only) and also is crazy for both the environment and road congestion. Sort it out politicians.. At least price it the same regardless of the location.

No comments: